Monday, April 8, 2013

The Dreaded Plot Element

I'm currently deep into a drama that I had waited for with great anticipation and thoroughly enjoyed until that darned overused plot element started looming.  I know it's going to take over the next episode so I've been avoiding it.  But I also know that I can't just not finish the drama, so I'm going to have to grit my teeth and bear it.

It happens in too many dramas.  One half of the couple (usually the female) is convinced by other people that they must break up for the benefit of the other person.  Yes, because it's much less hurtful to be dumped, often for someone else, than lose out on a career opportunity or cause waves in a family.  Don't be honest and work out the problem together, lie and manipulate and break the other person's heart for their own good!

Honestly, I'm extra perturbed about this particular plot element because I would probably do something stupid like this in the past, thinking that I'm somehow protecting the other person.  Whenever this tactic is used, invariably everything is revealed in the story so that true love can bloom once more.  If I were the heartbroken person, however, I don't think I would ever feel the same again.  The magic would be diminished, and so would the trust.  You can understand good intentions, but the heart can't go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment